At our Clinic we offer different Syphilis tests, as a stand alone or as part of a std test profiles. It is important that if you believe you might have syphilis that you get tested as quickly as possible
1. What is Syphilis?
It is a curable sexually transmitted infection (STI) caused by a bacterium called Treponema Pallidum. You can catch syphilis multiple times even if you have been treated for it in the past.
2. How Do You Become Infected With Syphilis?
Syphilis can be caught in a number of ways:
- Unprotected vaginal, anal or oral sex with someone who has syphilis
- Touching ulcers or weeping rashes in someone who has syphilis
- Through blood transfusions, although this is very rare in the UK
- From an infected mother to unborn baby
3. What Are the Symptoms of Syphilis?
Some of the symptoms of Syphilis are not always obvious and can pass on their own. However, unless treated, Syphilis itself will stay present in the body. Some of the symptoms of syphilis will include:
- Small, painless sores or ulcers that typically appear on the penis, vagina or around the anus.
- Blotchy red rash on the palms or soles of feet
- Small skin growths on the vulva in women or around the anus in both men and women
- Tiredness, headaches, joint pains, high temperature, and swollen glands on neck
Syphilis, if left untouched for years, can spread into the brain and other parts of the bodying can cause very serious and long term issues.
4. Should I Get Tested for Syphilis?
If you think that you might have syphilis, it is best to seek out Syphilis testing and treatment as soon as possible as syphilis doesn’t go away. A Syphilis test is also the only way to find out if you do have syphilis and the treatment for it is only available for prescription. Syphilis is diagnosed by a blood test performed by the doctor, which will then be sent to the laboratory.
5. How Will I Get My Syphilis Test Results?
A Specialist will email you the results once we have them back – normally within 5 working days. If the result is positive, we may ask for you to to return to the clinic so we can discuss the results and offer syphilis treatment and further care.
6. What is the Treatment for Syphilis?
Syphilis is curable and easy to treat with a course of antibiotics.
7.What about my partner?
It is important that your sexual partner is tested for syphilis and any other STIs. If you have had other sexual partners in the past, some of these may also need testing. We will advice you on this.